Summer is just around the corner – make a plan!
9 October 2020
The days are lengthening, the mountain is turning green, native wildflowers are sprouting and the birds are singing so it’s time to plan a ‘green season’ escape to explore scenic alpine Victoria.
From Saturday 31 October the mountain biking and walking trails progressively reopen on Mt Stirling and neighbouring Mt Buller. Dust off your bike, pull out the walking shoes, get back in the saddle and enjoy the fresh air and views across both mountains and all the way to the valley below. 4WD vehicle access to the summer roads also resumes from 30 October.
Escape the everyday and enjoy shaded walks beneath the tall mountain forest at Telephone Box Junction that gradually makes way to twisty snowgum glades as you climb on up to the alpine clearings above for wildflowers and sweeping regional views.
The Stirling Café opens on weekends (10am – 3pm) from 5 December to Easter and the barista coffee, homemade pastries and baked goods are worth making the visit!
The mountain crew is busy clearing and preparing the vast bike trail network for summer riding including the 40km legendary Australian Alpine Epic trail and the popular Delatite River Trail down to Mirimbah park. Horses are welcome back on the trails from the 31 October too – remember if you are walking along a trail please yield to horses and allow them to pass.
Discover the network of walking trails including the Wombat Drop (4.4kms/2hr return) and Summit (12.3kms/7 hrs return) Interpretive Loops that both start at the King Saddle Shelter; these signposted walks provide fascinating insights into our local history and information on the plants and animals you’ll see along the way.
Treat yourself to a free ‘thousand star’ stay and roll out your swag or pitch a tent and wake up with the birds on sunrise. Mt Stirling is the perfect place for stargazing and night photography with no light pollution to interrupt your stellar views.
Thank you for keeping to the trail, lighting campfires only in dedicated fireplaces and protecting the unique alpine environment. By leaving only footprints and taking only photographs together we can sustain the plants and animals that call this special place home.
SAVE THE DATE
If you want to mix up some quiet time on Stirling with some events in the area get out your diary, book in a getaway and join us for these great weekends this summer:
- 5 DEC: First Summer weekend – the FULL bike and walking trail network open and Blue Dirt bike shuttles operating (COVID guidelines permitting).
- 18-19 JAN: Victorian Downhill Series – hit the gravity trails with the state’s best for top-notch spectator action, adrenaline and good times!
- 23-26 JAN: Celebrate the Australia Day long weekend on a high. Book it now!
- 5-7 FEB: 11th annual TARGA High Country rally thrills on the Mt Buller road – stay in the village where the race comes to you.
- 19-21 FEB: A weekend for the girls with Mind, Body Bike Festival and support for autism with the Hut 2 Hut Oscars 100 event
- 6-7 MAR: The long weekend is a popular one and accommodation will book quickly for this summer long weekend of picnicking, rodeo thrills and biking.
- 2-5 APR: Easter at Altitude – egg hunting, fun running and more.
As COVID restrictions allow more events and operational details will be confirmed.
Check the Mt Buller events page for more event information
Explore the wider area while you are here!
Stop in to the Mansfield Mt Buller Information Centre on the Maroondah Highway (on your left as you enter Mansfield from Melbourne) for inspiration on activities, wineries, food options, trail rides and other things to see and do while you are in the neighbourhood.
After everything Victorians have been through this year roll on a relaxing summer, time out in nature, fresh air, freedom and simple pleasures of enjoying our beautiful ‘backyard’.
The resort is open for regional Victorians and the road is open and free. As more details lock in and the summer plans (and COVID safety guidelines adapt) take shape we will keep you updated here.
Follow Mt Stirling on social media and tag your photos #mtstirling to share your mountain moments
BOOK A STAY Mt Buller village, Merrijig and Mansfield offer a range of accommodation options if you want to stay nearby.
The Resort Management can be reached on 03 5777 6077 during office hours for enquiries regarding Mt Stirling access and operations.
- Check the latest guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines from the Victorian government: https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-victoria